We recently had a problem with a clients Mac Book / Outlook 2011 / Microsoft Exchange / Server 2008.
Since the internet cut of at their main office outlook 2011 and mac mail both were acting strangely. Outlook 2011 would say Downloading 1/7000 items, it would complete but the inbox would be completely blank and the process would start again. Mac Mail would download a few emails from a previous year but just randomly stop and no more emails would download.
After many many work hours. We finally Cracked it!
On the exchange server.
- Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right click Command Prompt and click Run As Administrator.
- Change Directory to <root drive>\Windows\System32, the root drive is typically C:. Run the following command
This will restore the base or core counters
- Check the registry value under HKLM/Software/Microsoft/WindowsNT/CurrentVersion/Perflib/009 and ensure that the value Counter is no longer corrupted.
- In the Command Prompt window, run the following command:
This will force the reload of all counters in to the WMI repository.
- Open Performance Monitor (perfmon.exe) and click the green + to Add, this will open Add Counters. Verify that the MSExchange counters exist and have Instances populated.
- Restart the Microsoft Exchange Server computer.
NOTE: We didn’t have to restart the Exchange Server.
NOTE: You may need to recreate the identity on the mac see here. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2360509
NOTE: Original Fix Link. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2264110
This job was a real head scratcher!
We popped in the details of the exchange account to a Windows 7 Pro machine and it was fine – this ruled out the server.
We re-created identities on the mac, we installed every email client under the sun for mac including entourage, mac mail, thunderbird all with different but similar problems – it had to be the mac!
We re-installed outlook 2011, we deleted every single text file, document and folder to do with Microsoft and Office on the mac!? In the end we created a virtual machine with Mac OSX on so we could break it as much as we wanted and revert the changes – just so we didn’t have to break the clients mac book completely. When we created the virtual machine with a fresh installation of Mac OSX, it had the same problem – it had to be the server!
This went on for nearly 2 weeks! Hours spent crawling forums and Googling. Every bit of spare time throughout the work day was back on this with trial and error.
I still cant believe that a performance monitor can stop email going to blackberry and mac devices!?
Anyway hope this blog saves you all the hours i spent on it.
All the Best.