In case you haven’t heard, Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for existing Windows users—as long as you don’t procrastinate. You need to act fast, and by fast we mean within one year of the as-yet-to-be-announced launch date. This bit of information came straight from the top when Microsoft Operating System Chief, Terry Myerson made the announcement earlier in the year. That’s good news for those people currently using Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1. While any change can be disruptive, in the quickly evolving tech world it is par for the course, and there are several compelling reasons to embrace this upgrade.
Once users make the upgrade to Windows 10, there’s no going back, not that anyone would want to. In addition to the free switch, users will also receive updates for the supported lifetime of their devices. Microsoft does warn that there may be hardware and software requirements that will apply, and availability may vary by particular device (and there’s some other fine print available on the Windows 10 site if you’re intrigued) but users would be wise to take advantage of this year-long opportunity for upgrades.
The free upgrade was no doubt inspired by a preference for some users to stick with Windows 7 after hearing reports from those who made the upgrade to Windows 8 and were less than thrilled with the new operating system. This threw a potential roadblock in Microsoft’s desire to be viewed as a service-centric company. The very mention of the word free has a tendency to generate interest, however, but Windows 10 also happens to be a better system. Here are a few reasons why upgrading to Windows 10 is appealing, with or without the word free attached to it.
1. Skip ahead. If you were one of the wary ones that avoided Windows 8.0 and 8.1, you can skip them completely and upgrade straight to 10.
2. More Security. Windows 10 has a much more secure browser than its predecessors and features greater compatibility with web pages and apps using legacy applications and data.
3. Improved Email. Outlook features MS Word capabilities making it easier to perform tasks like adding tables and inserting images into individual emails.
4. Customise Updates. Windows updates can be customised by individual IT managers and departments based on their specific needs. Updates can be performed according to user and type.
5. New Laptop Features. Laptops with precision touchpads will have new gestures when navigating open applications.
Those are just a few of the many good reasons to embrace the change. At AGT Computer Services, we eagerly anticipate the launch on the new system, and hope it’s here by summer. Until that time, we can help address any questions or concerns you may have with incorporating Windows 10 into your business. We serve the Blackpool, Lancashire, Fylde, Lytham and surrounding areas with cloud storage, cyber security, and system upgrades. We are a Microsoft Silver Partner for Small and Midmarket solutions and can work with you to meet all of your company’s IT needs.